Sunday, September 21, 2008

A new challenge

I read about the challenge on the Cyclo-club website & thought that this is just what I need to get back into the routine I was in earlier this year. I was doing well, training and losing weight, getting stronger earlier in the year, but then the trip to Atlanta reared it's ugly head. I was going up there to work for the summer to help out with modifications for the planes that I work on. I took my bikes up there with every intention of riding as much as possible. The first monkey wrench that was thrown into the plan was my work schedule. I usually work day shift, but in their infinate wisdom, my bosses decide to put me on nights. The second monkey wrench thrown at me was that I was going to have a rental car. Once I got checked into the hotel and went to work, I was told that the rental car wasn't going to happen. I was hoping to use the rental car to drive to the group rides with the Southern Crescent Cycling Club I belong to. As if the first two obstalces weren't enough, the hotel I was staying at was near the airport and there really wasn't many safe roads to ride on. The drivers in Atlanta can be quite rude if you slow them down and I have heard about several incidents involving drivers and cyclists. It was hard trying to get adjusted to sleeping during the day. I really wasn't very successful with that. I was lucky if I could get 4 hours straight of sleep, then I would doze on and off until it was time to leave for work. The biggest thing was that I was still eating like I was trainging as before. Needless to say, I put on quite a bit of the weight I had lost earlier in the year. Since I've been home, I really haven't had the motivation I was looking for to get back into the routine I was in the earlier part of the year. I'm glad Graeme posted the challenge & I decided to take it up and try to lose some of the weight within the 30 day time frame. I hope to be successful with the challenge & will do my best.

1 comment:

Tightwads of PDX! said...

Welcome aboard, James - excited to see you posting and taking part in the everyday challenge. I look forward to reading updates about your progress towards super-fitness!

Should be a fun project for all of us, hope that the interaction with other members and process of documenting your journey is a rewarding one for you!